Wednesday, November 11, 2009

SOFT TISSUE NECK IN MR







My MRI department does perform soft tissue exams from time to time, but I have not seen one in a while. I presume a lot of those exams are going to CT. I did perform a MRI procedure recently for a patient with unexplained pain just inferior to mandible. The exam did not demonstrate any pathology which would explain these symptoms but did find an incidental finding of a thyroglossal duct cyst. To be honest I was not sure what this was other than a structure filled with fluid. So I did a quick google search and found some useful information on a website from the University of Virginia Health System http://www.healthsystemvirginia.edu/. It turns out these cysts are formed in embryonic development after the thyroid is developed. They can often enlarge and be painful after certain infections such as respiratory. I like how MR images demonstrate these cysts. Because of the high water content it is very bright on this t2 axial with fat suppression and it showed some enhancement post contrast on a t1 axial image also with fat suppression.

No comments:

Post a Comment